In November 2022, Open Knowledge Sweden started a project to support mobile EU citizens, i.e. Europeans settling in another Member State to engage in EU political life on an everyday basis. Mobile citizens are today underrepresented when it comes to voting in local and European elections and the project therefore aims at supporting and encouraging their democratic engagement.
The project will run until April 2024 and targets mobile citizens, i.e. EU nationals residing in another European country, and especially under-represented groups, including young and senior Europeans; as well as EU level policy makers.
Three essential project elements
- Understanding the needs and challenges faced by EU mobile citizens when engaging on EU-level issues in order to select suitable topics of discussion.
- Engaging mobile citizens on the Open2Vote platform for EU mobile citizens, where they can learn about their rights and opportunities, as well as express their opinions on important EU topics through voting.
- Improve the representation of the interests of mobile EU citizens by awareness raising among European authorities.
- “Public Participation Foundation” or organisation MyVoice, Latvia. Grassroots NGO working in the field of civic digital participation and public engagement. Develops digital tools for better civic participation.
- Europeans Throughout the World, Belgium. Umbrella organisation gathering Civil society organizations uniting mobile Europeans and engaged in civic interest representation vis-a-vis EU institutional stakeholders.
- Open Knowledge Sweden, Sweden. Works with the community in the areas of open knowledge, civic participation and open data. Carries out research and policy-related work.
- The ECIT Foundation- European Citizen’s rights, Involvement and Trust, Belgium. Youth-driven think tank that focuses on issues relating to European citizenship issues, works with a range of different stakeholders to ensure European citizenship becomes more than the sum of its parts.
Get in touch with us: [email protected]